Slogged a lot. Got confused a lot. Packing up for the day.
Started up with a new app.
Trying to follow along and write independently as I watch the videos.
Had time, so finished up the app! Hurrah!
Ok, so this makes up for one of my missed days, so I have to do a hundred and one only.
Running the app, downloads some lolcat images from the net, saves them to a folder and then opens up the folder for you to enjoy :)
The last app taught me how to download text over the internet.
- taught me to download binary data (images in our program)
- learnt how to detect what operating system runs on my computer
- learnt how to reach out to the operating systems shell and run commands
The amount of modules that I am now being exposed to is a bit dizzying.
A long term plan, would be to look at the more common ones and study them in depth.1
I had lots of fun. Onwards!
The program is almost done.
Had lots of fun.
Today was the first time, I went over a huge, run – see error – fix error – run again loop. Drove me absolutely batty.
I managed to get it all up and running.
Hope to have it all neatly tied with a bow, tomorrow.
Started up with a new program.
While the last one dealt with working with text on the internet, this one deals with binary data.
The point to go get some images (lolcats) in my case, download them to a folder and display them.
Watched all the videos today.
Ok the weather app is done.
Er, only it’s not the weather app anymore, it’s just a temperature app.
The program was meant to pull all sorts of details from Wunderground and apparently the site has changed into a different, more complicated (to me) web page.
I did not want to spend all my time, futzing with CSS.
So I figured out how to just pull out the place name and the temperature and display it.
Things I learnt,
- How to use Requests and Beautiful Soup to scrape and parse web pages.
- Practiced my documentation skills a bit.
- Learnt to fend for myself.