I’ve been sticking to plain old rsync -az to sling files around using Rsync.
Until I ran into a hiccough today, where I filled up my teensy remote storage on the Pi, because a couple of subdirectories that were part of the run, were hundreds of megabytes large.1

So I did the usual, did hunt around the web thing, and learnt about --exclude

So now the new Rsync command is …

rsync -az src dest --exclude={'excluded_dir_1','excluded_dir_2'}

And my poor Pi no longer has disk full nightmares.

P.S. Subscribe to my mailing list!
Forward these posts and letters to your friends and get them to subscribe!
P.P.S. Feed my insatiable reading habit.

  1. I’d expected the normal run to be a few hundred kilobytes in size. ↩︎